One thing that cannot be denied is that dark chocolate and red wine are a match made in heaven. So why does it seem so counter-intuitive to put them together in a recipe? These brownies are deep-dark chocolate with a punch from the sour cherries, and the wine cuts through the sweetness to introduce their tartness, and it's just perfection. To make these even more appealing, we've gone and made them gluten-free! Play around with the different coconut flour brands as some are a bit more refined than others. You won't get the flavour of coconut by using it in this recipe as it's quite a small amount!, but you can get the desiccated coconut texture with some varieties. Feel free to use plain flour if you aren't gluten-free as well.
As an extra bonus, take note of Steph's top-secret bolognese wine-pairing secret: cook with the same wine you serve to guarantee the pairing. Because we can suggest that as the option here too. :-) That, or use up the bottle from a few nights ago that you don't want to drink but also don't want to waste. We always advocate to only cook with wine that you would drink for the same reason that we always advocate using the best quality chocolate that you can find or afford. It will elevate your recipes, and your tastebuds will thank you for it! :-)
Sour Cherry Red Wine Brownies (gluten-free!)
150g dark chocolate chips (plus extra for top)
125g light brown sugar
200g caster sugar
70g cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
65ml red wine
30g coconut flour
150g sour cherries
1) Pre-heat oven 165°C. Grease 8x8 inch pan and set aside.
2) In a medium saucepan over medium heat, begin to melt the butter to brown, stirring gently. It will be ready when it gets little reddish flecks and begins to turn brown in colour with an aromatic nutty scent. (NB from Chef Jaime: play around a bit with this step if you haven’t browned butter before. You can take the butter lighter or darker and it will change the flavour. Just be careful not to burn it as it can change quite quickly!). Remove from heat.
3) Add the dark chocolate chips to the browned butter and stir until chocolate is entirely melted into the butter and mixed together.
4) In the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment, whisk light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, and cocoa powder until combined. While on a medium speed, slowly pour the butter-chocolate mixture and whisk until well combined. It may look grainy.
5) Add all 3 eggs at once and whisk again until glossy.
6) Add salt, vanilla extract, red wine, and coconut flour and whisk again until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
7) Fold in half of the sour cherries to the batter.
8) Pour the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining sour cherries evenly across the top. If desired, sprinkle extra chocolate chips evenly across the top.
9) Bake 35-40 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
10) Allow to cool for 30 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy!