For an afternoon pick-me-up, these granola bars can't be beat. The hit of coffee and chocolate coupled with the crunch of the cookie and the chew of the oats is just right. No bake and just 2 dishes- so clean up is a breeze. As with most granola bars, these will test your strength and you may end up with crumbles instead of bars. Don't despair! They are equally good on a spoon or crumbled over dark chocolate ice cream :-) If you want them to be kid-friendly, use decaf coffee grounds or omit the coffee completely.
And, as a very happy accident, they are VEGAN! We hope you enjoy these delicious treats!
Biscoff Mocha Granola Bars
30g toasted slivered almonds
2 tbsp finely ground roast coffee beans
120g old-fashioned rolled oats
70g crushed biscoff cookies (about 9 cookies)
30g crispy rice cereal
65 g good quality dark chocolate chunks
20g unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 tsp Maldon sea salt
180ml maple syrup
90ml light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond butter
2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
1. Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together almonds, ground coffee beans, oats, biscoff, cereal, chocolate, coconut, and salt.
3. In a small pot over low heat, stir together the maple syrup, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, almond butter, and coconut oil until combined.
4. Bring to a simmer being very careful not to burn the mixture. Remove from heat.
5. Immediately pour the syrup mix over the oat mix and fully coat.
6. Pour the mixture into your lined pan and spread it out evenly. Place a second piece of parchment over top of the mix and, using all your weight, press down firmly onto each inch of the pan. The harder you press, the better the bars will stick together.
7. Place the pan into the refrigerate for 1 hour until the bars are firmly set and easy to slice.
8. Any that you don’t eat (these are pretty moorish, so you may not need this information :-)) store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.